Semimonthly Online Meetups 2020

I can confirm that I am able to join the meeting without moderator approval too.

Whereā€™s the meeting link? Is it the Jitsi link that @milesfrain published?

Yeah it is the link from the above: https://meet.jit.si/PureScriptSemiMonthlyMeetup

1 Like

Ah. Did the meeting start already?

We are already chatting, but waiting 5 minutes before we move to tech stuff so that folks can join in

Weā€™re still waiting on people :slight_smile:

The last meetup summary is really short :slight_smile:

• In the beginning we have discussed possible real world usage scenarios for purescript-machines and streaming in general. Some pinpoints were:

• It can be an overkill to use machines for simple state management. KISS - simple ADT + couple of functions is often just enough.
    • Interesting streaming use cases: constant space large document parsing in the SAX spirit, protocol parsing with state transitions etc.
  • We had switched into really entertaining ā€œpodcast modeā€ :stuck_out_tongue: in which @f-f and @kritzcreek discussed a lot of interesting stuff around package manager architecture, dhall, parsing dhall (preserving comments in AST), happy, registry etc. etc.
    @kritzcreek is currently working on a package manager for Motoko language. He decided to use dhall as a configuration language there and also looked into spago for inspiration. As we all know @f-f works on the spago and the registry for PS and dhall.
    They found a common language really quickly which was really funny to listen to :slight_smile:

Additionally:

• We have shortly discussed that jitsi works fine and we should settle on this and use it in the thread section - thanks a lot @milesfrain!

• We have talked about but not decided if it is worth to create additional ā€œthread per meetupā€ or not.

• In between we have discussed also covid deniers, security issues related to smashing random walls in a house and other interesting stuff :slight_smile:

It was real pleasure to meet you again. See you next time of course!

9 Likes

This might have extra ideas around the use of state machines:

This library has to be at least in part inspired by state machines:

1 Like

It looks like I missed an interesting meetup. Was it recorded?

@shinzui I donā€™t believe that is the case.

1 Like

@milesfrain, could you please tell me how should I schedule the meet for the next Monday? Should I just edit the existing one and change date?

I was also wondering about this, but then I realized that Miles already adjusted date and time in the first post, and that the Jitsi link is already there, so it looks like weā€™re all set :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, sorry for the spam! Iā€™m not sure what I was thinking about writing the above commentā€¦ I was somewhat in the future :wink:

Summary of last meetup:

• At the beginning @cvlad asked us what small stuff he could make in PureScript in his streams that would attract people to PureScript. He already had an idea of making a simple Markdown parser without any external parsing libraries (inspired by the Haskell JSON parser in 111 lines). Check out his channel at https://twitch.tv/cvladfp!

• We also spoke a little bit about JSON and the JSON standard. Then @milesfrain sent us an article that shows how painful parsing JSON actually can be here.
  • I then spoke about the PureScript-to-PureScript types compiler that Iā€™m working on with @mikesol. We currently lack time, so weā€™d welcome any interested people!

• We also spoke about what stuff people think would improve the experience of PureScript. They include Pursuit and type hole improvements.

• @paluh spoke about the small monad transformers workshop that heā€™s working on with me. Stay tuned for news!

• @paluh also briefly spoke about purescript-machines, its need for docs, and its lack of machines other than Mealy machines. If anybodyā€™s interested, you can go help document the package!

• We spoke about the increase of PureScriptā€™s adoption in companies and the apparent lack of failures that are caused by PureScript in companies.

This was a really fun meetup. Thanks to all of those who attended!

Iā€™m having some difficulty remembering what we discussed after that. I apologize for not giving a complete summary. Iā€™ll try to take notes next time. Of course, if anybody can remind me of anything that I forgot, Iā€™ll add it here. Thanks in advance!

6 Likes

Is there a plan for a meetup on the 28th?

Good reminder. Iā€™m not going to make it, but I updated the calendar, and the Zulip Jitsi link should still be live for anyone who wants to jump in.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to be online and on time :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit confused. Did you mean Jitsi instead of Zulip?

1 Like

Iā€™m also going to make it, and Iā€™m available for an AMA on the new Registry draft (see here), if anyone has any questions on this :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey, where can we see what time those meetings start at? (Probably missed this one already, but curious for the next one)