Trouble installing dependencies

oh well yes you could be right here - but it should be the same repository and you should be able to find the original code - I don’t think they changed the /tmp part

Sorry again - I think you were right the first time - if this is the current code it seems that it’s indeed using a temporary directory in ./.spago and not in /tmp - sorry

Yes, that’s true, it should be fairly similar. Sorry I may have come across as dismisive, thank you for checking that and pointing me in the right direction.

No you did not - I made a mistake and did not check (I read about the move but honestly did not make the connection while looking for the code - it did not even register that this is the wrong “language” I’m looking at).

Don’t worry I’m just curious and would love to help out with this :wink:

I have this issue too on FreeBSD 14.0 . When I try a spago run on a fresh repo and with the book source code. @bensnowball How did you manage this problem on your side? I hope you may have found a workaround by now. Let me know please.

Ah, I somehow missed this post - for future reference, feel free to tag me in Spago-related issues

This is a strange issue, and I can’t quite explain what’s happening, but it seems to be fairly common.
My first question would be: does this still happen with the new Spago? (i.e. the purescript rewrite)

You can get it with npm install spago@next.

1 Like

Thank you. I have just tried with next version it seems better. But I get an error for purescript compatibility:

$ spago init
Initializing a new project...

❌ No package set is compatible with your compiler version 0.15.9
Compatible versions:

bsd package hs-purescript installing 0.15.9 version indeed.

Sorry, this isn’t much help, but I ended up going back to using Pulp and Bower. I don’t recommend that unless you have to. I’ll try using the new Spago & report back tomorrow.
One other thing, perhaps I’m misunderstanding your package set problem (which I don’t know much about), but might that be fixed by specifying a package set version like so?

it’s worth a try but I guess it’s worth pinging @f-f with this - seems like the version check in spago@next is more demanding.

Maybe an entry in the package-set repos latest-compatible-sets or moving forward to 0.15.9 there would be a better solution.

Thank you I didn’t know thid --tag parameter. I will try

Hey - seems a 0.15.9 package-set was just released - it probably works now without --tag ... out of the box for you.

2 Likes

Yay! spago@next works out of the box on FreeBSD (at least with purs 0.15.8), so much easier, thanks to everyone involved!

I just have a minor question for @f-f or anyone else: In a project where build, bundle & everything else works, when I try to open the REPL with spago repl nothing happens, it just returns to the shell prompt, without even an error message. I do have psci-support installed so it isn’t that. Also the REPL does work ‘manually’ with purs repl 'src/**/*.purs' '.spago/**/*.purs'. I’ve have looked in the issues but there doesn’t seem to be anything like this already reported.

EDIT: I just noticed Run.purs is a stub so presumably this is currently the expected behavior. But to anyone else with the same problem the “purs repl” work around above is close enough.

1 Like

sorry I have just tried the tag parameter and I am very confused by the output I got:

24-06-23 11:02:19 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/test
mik@labo $ spago init --tag "psc-0.15.9-20230619"
spago init
    Unexpected argument:
        --tag

Initialise a new project

--help,-h                  Show this help message.
    --no-color,--monochrome    Force logging without ANSI color escape sequences
    --quiet,-q                 Suppress all spago logging
    --set                      Optional package set version to be used instead of the latest one.
    --verbose,-v               Enable additional debug logging, e.g. printing `purs` commands
24-06-23 11:03:17 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/test
mik@labo $ spago --version

@bensnowball how do you use 0.15.8 ?

@CarstenKoenig without tag I got the same error as before:

24-06-23 11:05:04 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/test
mik@labo $ npm install -g spago@next

changed 55 packages in 4s
24-06-23 11:08:11 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/test
24-06-23 11:08:14 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/test
mik@labo $ spago init                            
Refreshing the Registry Index...
Initializing a new project...

❌ No package set is compatible with your compiler version 0.15.9
Compatible versions:

I’m still looking, thank you

I think --tag is no longer an option in next. @f-f do you confirm ?

Yes but you should be able to use the --set:

spago init --set 27.3.0

in this case it should be safe to use the latest one

EDIT: I’d still try to use non-next spago for now - your first try seems to be with spago@next too. Because on 0.21.0 it works for me:

$ spago --version0.21.0

$ spago init --tag "psc-0.15.9-20230619" 
[info] Initializing a sample project or migrating an existing one..
[info] Updating package-set tag to "psc-0.15.9-20230619"

I usually don’t use global installs - I do something like this:

npm init -y
npm install --save-dev purescript spago
npx spago init

and an ocassional npx spago upgrade-set if I want to update dependencies.

(I use pnpm but the idea is the same)

ah thank you it works. I saw this --set option but didn’t understand what it was for. I realize now that it’s the version of the repos “package set”.

I am at the very beginning of my learning path. sorry for that.

no need to apologize - I’m a PureScript user for quite a few years now and right now I cannot say that I totally understand what is going on with spago@next (to my fault - the info is out there but I did not find the time to really read/understand the great work done).

I’m sure the situation will be much clearer to beginners once spago@next and the new repository is finished/launched as default - for now I prefer the package-set style with old spago / and the tags for compiler/date

Yes I usually use pnpm. I wanted to do a simple global installation to start with while I got familiar with ps.

I will try the legacy version in the future I think.

Ok just try spago 0.21.0 and get this weird “Abort” message:

mik@labo $ npm install -g spago                                                                          

added 80 packages, removed 40 packages, and changed 15 packages in 7s
24-06-23 11:45:24 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/purescript-book/exercises/chapter2
Abort
24-06-23 11:45:30 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/purescript-book/exercises/chapter2
mik@labo $ spago          
Abort
24-06-23 11:45:36 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/purescript-book/exercises/chapter2
mik@labo $ whereis spago
spago: /home/mik/.npm-packages/bin/spago
24-06-23 11:46:21 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/purescript-book/exercises/chapter2
mik@labo $ npm uninstall -g spago

removed 95 packages in 163ms
24-06-23 11:46:28 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/purescript-book/exercises/chapter2
mik@labo $ npm uninstall -g spago@0.21.0

up to date in 148ms
24-06-23 11:48:24 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/purescript-book/exercises/chapter2
mik@labo $ npm install -g spago@0.21.0  

added 95 packages in 1s
24-06-23 11:48:30 /home/mik/Dev/purescript/purescript-book/exercises/chapter2
Abort

So to sumarize:

• spago legacy npm version(0.21.0) doesn’t work on Freebsd,
  • spago freebsd port seems to work, but fails on purescript book exercises
  • spago@next works well on FreeBSD for new projects but fails running the book exercises.

The good news is I can use spago@next for my new project. For learning from the examples’ book I will run spago from a debian VM.

Thanks again for your help.