2021-06-23 real-time chat test, all topics, please join

Can we have a real-time chat conversation on Discourse, as a replacement for Slack FP?

https://discourse.purescript.org/t/purescript-official-chat/2397/33

What if we created a new “real-time chat” thread like this one each day? Is Discourse usable as real time chat? Let’s type chat messages to each other and see if it works in real-time. Anyone online?

2 Likes

testing testing, 1…2…3

1 Like

Maybe this doesn’t work? Because you have to press the Reply button before you can type anything.

Here’s a “chat plugin” for Discourse.

1 Like

Oh hi afc. I was type and did not see your message untill I finished typing. So that’s not good.

1 Like

just looking at the extreme inefficiency of space usage in this Discourse chat i think it’s not a runner…

1 Like

yeah right?

Oh no, error message “Post must be at least 20 characters” that’s stupid.

1 Like

if you take a typical slack screenful…possibly 20 posts each one with a thread linked off it…just a lot more informationally dense

1 Like

While you’re typing, I see a message

afc “replying…”

and then when you post it appears right away, so that part is good at least.

1 Like

yeah that’s true, the density here is really bad

1 Like

and i have to use my mouse way too much

1 Like

it was worth a shot - gotta investigate the options. i think we won’t find something that completely satisfies all users’ requirements and “desirements” TBH, so i’m down for going with whatever community lands on

2 Likes

yeah

i would be ideal if we could chat in Discourse, so that all the conversations would be permanent and searchable along with all of the other Discourse content, but I don’t think this would be popular. Too much friction.

1 Like

What about the chat plugin, does that work?

Hi Adrielus, yeah, what about the chat plugin?

1 Like

I don’t know, never used it, but it looks okay? GitHub - gdpelican/babble: Discourse Shoutbox plugin

1 Like

man, that is a big pile of Ruby though

1 Like

I say “it looks okay” but it is marked broken-plugin here for some reason Babble - A Chat Plugin - broken-plugin - Discourse Meta

1 Like

Continuing down a possible XMPP route, JSXC (which I believe was originally for the FOSS ownCloud/NextCloud) can be used to bolt an XMPP chat onto another system. The advantage here could be the bring-your-own-client (who doesn’t remember Pidgin? haha). Disadvantage is I can’t find an off-the-shelf integration for Discourse, and don’t believe I’m willing to donate the effort alone :sweat_smile:. What I don’t see with this Babble plugin is how one can use it independently from outside the browser or within say a TUI. However, I guess something like JSXC could be slapped on the main website as well as Discourse because it’s independent … :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I heard the nim community has both a discord and an irc instance synced by bots

I’m not an EU citizen (so I have little data privacy) and I don’t consent to Discord’s Privacy Policy so as a Nim community member, could I exclude myself from having my IRC content mirrored? It seems Discord is partnered with Google, Facebook, and Twitter. And it’s explicitly stated that they ignore DNT headers. I just don’t think you should be required to sacrifice your personal data in any fashion in the context of an open-source community. :frowning:

1 Like