Alternative to purescript-test-unit?

Hi all,

In my limited spare time I’ve been contributing to Exercism’s PureScript track. Exercism is a code practice and mentorship site and they’ve recently launched a completely revamped site (v3) and it is worth checking out. Hopefully we can keep PureScript alive there. :wink: Oh and we need mentors… :slight_smile:

Students work on an exercise and need to get the related unit tests to pass. These unit tests are currently implemented using purescript-test-unit. We’re hoping to upgrade from PureScript 0.13.8 to 0.14.x soon and I’m trying to get all the warnings emitted by PureScript 0.14.x resolved. We don’t want to confront beginning students with these warnings.

1. Is purescript-test-unit still a viable library to rely on. As far as I can see there is little activity here the past few years and pull requests are not being addressed. Would the purescript-contrib organization be willing to adopt this library or perhaps another unit testing library? I know that purescript-book also relies on purescript-test-unit and am curious what the experience is like there.

2. According to Testing recommendations I think purescript-spec might also be a viable option. Any others we should consider?

3. Also, do we need to wait for PureScript 0.15.x for the MonadZero warnings to disappear? I believe there is a way to use psa to hush warnings but I don’t really want to depend on that.

Thanks all!

4 Likes

I believe there is a way to use psa to hush warnings but I don’t really want to depend on that.

You can use --censor-lib with psa, which will silence library warnings. FWIW, you only get these warnings on first compile.