New documentation for `purescript-halogen-select v1.0`

Inspired by this conversation:

I took some time to document Select now that it has a stable release. We already had an overview and module documentation, but I wanted to add some more tutorial-focused content as well as some explanation-focused content around some of the unfamiliar ideas in the library.

The documentation site is here:
https://citizennet.github.io/purescript-halogen-select/

A thorough, beginner-friendly tutorial on creating a dropdown is here:
https://citizennet.github.io/purescript-halogen-select/tutorials/dropdown/

A faster-paced, more advanced tutorial on creating a typeahead is here:
https://citizennet.github.io/purescript-halogen-select/tutorials/typeahead/

An explanation of using a free query in Halogen (contributed by @monoidmusician) is here:
https://citizennet.github.io/purescript-halogen-select/concepts/understanding-free-queries/

If any of you folks give this a read and notice ways it can be improved (too much information? too little? typos?) I would appreciate the feedback!

In addition to writing this documentation, Iā€™ve set up a continuous integration process that builds the documentation site, which is itself quite full-featured. Iā€™ll soon write about this process as itā€™s quite easy to have a beautiful, functional docs site hosted on GitHub pages for your library.

The general idea is that by lowering the difficulty to set up a documentation project like this we can make it a little easier to get started documenting your own libraries.

5 Likes

Wow Thomas this is looking great! I can hear your tone coming through, especially with this :laughing:

Effect rows can be surprisingly finicky to get right

Yeah?? hehe wonā€™t you be glad when Halogen is ready for 0.12 :wink:

Ok some bits of feedback:

• Small detail: Writing useful item types info box needs a newline to get code highlighting
  • Lines 28-40 of Feedback are a little confusing in the formatting, maybe it would be a good idea to refactor some helpers into let/where bindings? In general itā€™s easy for Halogen code to get messy like that ā€¦ small functions are good! (so I say after writing a run-on sentence)

In your Project Setup tutorial you write

return the next query

I realize that phrasing is used elsewhere, but I think itā€™s inaccurate ā€¦ really itā€™s just returning whatever was trapped inside the Query, and most of the time thatā€™s actually unit (in event handlers, etc.). The exceptions would be EventSources (which return Listening status) and when youā€™re actually querying a component with H.query and want useful information out of it (;

But I donā€™t want to make a big deal out of that. Honestly the documentation looks great to me :smiley:

These are great notes! Thank you.

Shoot! Halogen is already ready for 0.12, so I guess I can go ahead and remove all that stuff. I should have waited a week to write this :slight_smile:

Right. Iā€™ll fix this.

On reflection I think youā€™re right. I didnā€™t want to spend too much time changing the shape of the code from section to section because I find it difficult to keep track of these sorts of changes when I read tutorials. We discussed this a little on Slack ā€“ code tutorials fall down often because you donā€™t see the entire file at once, just a small window onto a few lines of it, and so without that context it can be tough to keep track of whatā€™s happening. I tried to stick with the minimal number of changes necessary to get the whole thing working, but in the code youā€™ve called out here, it becomes tough to follow such a dense function.

Iā€™m going to refactor it into renderItem, renderContainer, renderInput as I usually do in my own code.

Youā€™re right here as well. Early into learning Halogen I thought of it as returning the ā€˜nextā€™ query, largely because of what you stated there: most of the time itā€™s actually unit, in which case the next query runs. However, weā€™ve used H.query often enough that I should have known better when writing this! Iā€™ll fix this as well.

Thanks again for the feedback @monoidmusician

Updated!

1 Like

What tasks can I do to contribute to a documentation project for PureScript?

@RathishB23 You might choose a few libraries that you are currently using and reach out to the owners or most frequent contributors to ask how you might best contribute documentation to that library. Youā€™ll be helping yourself as a user as well as helping others!

As far as the documentation you contribute goes, I think that cookbook-style content is sorely missing ā€“ the kind that demonstrates how to use a library to accomplish some task, rather than documentation that simply describes the concepts in the library or summarizes a few functions. The documentation for select does this by walking through how to build a dropdown and a typeahead using the library.

For example, the Argonaut libraries could really use some examples of how to decode and encode different JSON structures.

1 Like