Ocelot repo, simplified

Notes on using / adapting Ocelot

TL;DR - i made a fork of Ocelot that might make it easier to “grab ‘n’ go”, tho YMMV of course

The Ocelot project from CitizenNet is a really quite amazing resource which has the potential to save a development team quite a lot of effort both in coding and front-end design decisions.

I believe the intention in open sourcing it was more to serve as a template for other projects rather than as a library for general use. Which is totally fine, it’s a terrific contribution either way and i could totally see why the developers wouldn’t want the burden of supporting its use in outside projects too.

However, it seems to me that there’s some low-hanging fruit here for the PureScript community generally to leverage the Halogen components and the styling that Ocelot offers without:

• adopting the project structure of Ocelot
  • being tied to Webpack to build the CSS
  • being tied to very old version of TailwindCSS

I don’t know that a fork is needed or desirable, it may be sufficient to just document the steps needed to extract and use the library, but i’ve made an exploratory fork for myself to explore these issues. I hope that this will be useful for others too.

Specifically, i’ve used this fork to validate that it is possible to get the ui-guide to build and run using updated releases of postcss and tailwindcss and very little else.

what is changed in this fork

In the original repo, the CSS is built using yarn or npm to run make which then runs webpack to manage the postcss. There are probably good reasons to do this in CitizenNet’s usage but it’s quite a chain to absorb if you simply want to add some widgets to a Halogen webpage.

Additionally, in the original repo, at the root-level, parcel was used to build and serve development builds.

I’ve drastically simplified things to the point where you can build and serve the ui-guide using only postcss/tailwind and spago / purs, all run via npm script in root directory.

building and serving the ui-guide example

This is the relevant bit of the package.json

"build": "spago build --path 'ui-guide/**/*.purs' --path 'src/**/*.purs'",
    "bundle": "spago bundle-app --main Main --to dist/bundle.js",
    "build-css": "postcss css/src/index.css -o dist/cn-tailwind.css",
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "purescript": "0.14.2",
    "spago": "^0.20.3",
    "autoprefixer": "^10.2.6",
    "cssnano": "^5.0.6",
    "postcss-cli": "^8.3.1",
    "postcss-import": "^14.0.2",
    "tailwindcss": "^2.1.4"

},

So all you should need to do from a clean install (ie with node_modules and output both empty) is to run

• yarn build-css - which uses the two config files postcss.config.js and tailwind.config.js, now elevated to the root of the repo
  • yarn build - which builds all the PureScript sources under both src and ui-guide
  • yarn bundle - which bundles an app with entry point being the Main from ui-guide

…and then you can serve the three key artefacts in the dist directory with whatever httpd you like, or simply open the index.html in your browser.

what changes were necessary to Ocelot code?

The biggest breaking change from the early version of tailwindcss seems to have been the 1.0 release which changed the the classes for pinning elements to the edges of their containers. Here are the release notes that accompanied that change.

Changing the classes necessitated a fairly invasive change which you can see at this commit (you can ignore my notes.txt files, the changes that matter are all in .purs Ocelot Block files.)

a note on production readiness, CI, etc

The purpose of this fork is to demonstrate decoupling of Ocelot components from the old Tailwind release and to build without using parcel or webpack. It undoubtedly breaks lots of things that CitizenNet CI would need, but hopefully the corollary of this is something that is easier to pick up and incorporate into a new project very easily.

But you will then need to sort out minification, scoping, SVGs, incremental builds, file watching etc in the way that you like best.

4 Likes

Very cool.

I remember when I was doing a toy project I spent some time googling/looking for a component library for purescript. I never found anything and just ended up wrapping a few Material Design web components.

That being said, as a toy project/learning exercise, I think Ocelot would have been a bit too involved. This is definitely an interesting fork.

Did you document the process anywhere? How involved was it?

what was very involved was working out how the whole JS toolchain was working (i’d never looked at TailwindCSS before, AFAIR, but my initial reaction of “this is entirely the wrong way to do styling” gave way to a grudging feeling that it might actually be a good “least worse” approach, especially in teams)

the actual changes to Ocelot were just surgical edits on class strings in the components once i’d worked out what the delta from 0.6.4 to 2.1.4 was (and build things but that was all just throwing stuff out and stripping back to just postcss and spago)