PureScript Unscripted in 2019?

Any thoughts on what PS Unscripted should be in this new year?

For reference, last year we were able to find someone for each meetup who was able to share something PureScript-related they accomplished, learned, or otherwise wanted to share.

1 Like

I’d like to see some PureScript + React stuff personally. I haven’t played around with it yet but I want to try out PureScript React Basic (https://github.com/lumihq/purescript-react-basic). But I also want to learn more about Halogen so I guess anything related to FE frameworks would be nice.

1 Like

I’m also interested mostly in Halogen cause i’m using it right now in my day to day work. I would also like to get deeper explanations to spacchetti and spago and psc-package. How this things work.

Furthermore it would be nice to have something like that for newcomers to teach them how to get started what they need to know and stuff. Maybe after doing something like this we can gain knowledge what is needed to get started up front and ramp up newcomers.

I want the PureScript community & ecosystem to have both a conference alternative (b/c its community is too small for a “proper” conference) and a podcast.

Has the PureScript Unscripted for the past 1-2 years been comparable to conference talks? I think PS Unscripted could be a good alternative - the only thing it would be missing is the high-bandwidth social part of a conference. The PS chat rooms would satisfy that need, I suspect.

On the other hand, I also imagine PS Unscripted evolving into a podcast. The only problem with this is that losing the visual aspect could be incompatible with podcast medium and what podcast consumers would want. My response to this is that the PS Unscripted podcast could be a “lite” version of the conference talk-like it reflects, because it’s the audio-only version. If we keep the screen-sharing/video aspect, when you find one particularly interesting, you can go to the YouTube version of it to see if the visual aspects answer questions you had when first consuming the audio-only format.

I would like to participate in such an online confrence or in a new chapter of purescript unscripted.

There was once a podcast i listned to about clojure that was doing stuff like that an audio version and a video version. They were talking about general stuff at first and afterwards they stepped to the visual part where the podcast stopped. So the audio version only contained the discussions and not the code stuff. Maybe that would be an idea. Furthermore i also liked the approach of LambdaCast which does explaining strongly typed patterns in audio form. It was hard at first but if you got used to strongly typed languages you could easily follow.

But i guess it would be great to have something like a youtube channel for newcommers to see what the community is doing and how to use purescript in the real world.

1 Like