The Future of the PureScript Book

I’d like to invite anyone who is interested to help with a code review on updating the original chapter 8 code to work with react-basic-hooks.

I have a working version, but am unsure if this is the best coding style, and would like to get this straightened-out before including code snippets in the chapter text.

Links:

4 Likes

AWESOME! I’ll provide some feedback this weekend

It appears that everyone is in agreement that the book should be moved to purescript-contrib. What are the next steps for that? This may be a good task to combine with the library deprecation effort.

Yea, I’m happy to move the book to -contrib!

As far as I’m aware that simply involves @dtwhitney making any last minute updates, ensuring we credit the work appropriately, and then on GitHub request transferring ownership to the -contrib organization (I can accept the request).

2 Likes

The only remaining PRs are mine, and I’m happy to re-apply those to the new repo if that simplifies the migration effort.

I believe the pull requests and everything else transfers with the repository — the only change is the owner. So hopefully you won’t need to do anything!

I’m taking a look now

It doesn’t look like this is something I can do. It looks like you can just do it, or add me to the org with repo creation privileges:

https://help.github.com/en/github/administering-a-repository/transferring-a-repository

To transfer repositories to an organization, you must have repository creation permissions in the receiving organization. If organization owners have disabled repository creation by organization members, only organization owners can transfer repositories out of or into the organization.

Once a repository is transferred to an organization, the organization’s default repository permission settings and default membership privileges will apply to the transferred repository.

1 Like

I see that @garyb has invited you @dtwhitney to the purescript-contrib organization so that you can do this.

Yep, sorry, I meant to mention I had done so but then got distracted as I was trying to figure out whether that would give sufficient permissions to create/transfer the repo. I think it will now, after I poked at some other settings.

Ok it looks like it has been moved. I gave access to the “book” team.

Great! I can see the book at its new home: https://github.com/purescript-contrib/purescript-book

Thanks again for all your work, @dtwhitney!

2 Likes

Um… wow! We should have moved the book over a long time ago. I can’t believe the amount of work being done on the book. It’s amazing. Awesome work everyone!

6 Likes

I’ve been working on something that has helped me in getting started with PureScript, a list of definitions for several keywords that I’ve personally found difficult to grapple with. I am sharing them in the hopes that they might be useful to others, maybe something that could be improved/incorporated into a larger document.

1 Like

Hello. I’m new to PureScript and I hope to contribute in the future—but for now I still need to learn.

I have been searching for “a” (or “the”?) PureScript Book and it was not entirely obvious where to find it. The homepage does not mention any book and a Google search for “purescript book” finds a number of things that are older or not necessarily relevant.

I ended up reading this entire thread (which is the 2nd result on Google) where I found the link to the new Github repo, in the description of which I finally found a link to https://book.purescript.org/

A big thank you to everyone involved! I would humbly suggest adding that link somewhere in the homepage, for all other newcomers, with a big button saying Read the book or something visible like that, even if the rewrite is still a work in progress.

6 Likes

Hey @tobia, welcome! Thanks for your comment - it reminded me about the PR that @JordanMartinez made on the www.purescript.org repo, which added that link back now that the book is mostly updated. I’ve just merged it, so we now have a link to the book on the homepage.

5 Likes

Should we merge some of the guides in the docs repo with the book? A lot of the content is duplicated (sometimes verbatim), and I think it will be easier to keep things up to date with only one official version out there.

Examples of duplication:

1 Like

This sounds reasonable but I want to make sure that we are fulfilling our obligations with respect to copyright and licensing. It was quite a big job to get the docs repo sorted out so that we know what license the contents are provided under, so I don’t want to slip back to a situation where we don’t know who owns the copyright for what and what terms it’s under. What content is duplicated verbatim?

I think this discussion is getting away from the original topic though, I think it would be preferable to discuss this in a new thread or perhaps on GitHub.