Trying to install purescript-markdown with spago

Hi all,

I may sound silly but I am just learning the language, no real experience.
I am trying to install the package [1] with spago, got this error:

> purs --version
play on  main  v17.5.0 <=> v0.15.7
> spago --version
play on  main  v17.5.0 <=> v0.15.7
> spago install purescript-markdown
[error] The following packages do not exist in your package set:
[error]   - purescript-markdown

[1] purescript-markdown - Pursuit

Hi,

unfortunately that package was not updated in quite some time and so it will not work with the current compiler and the other packages in the current set anymore.

You can check what packages are in your current set with spago ls packages.

You could try to fork it and make the changes yourself and then add it to your packages.dhall locally.

EDIT this one here markdown-it should work with the current set but you have to add it manually (in your packages.dhall)

Thanks.

EDIT this one here markdown-it should work with the current set but you have to add it manually (in your packages.dhall)

With this you mean: GitHub - purescript/spago: 🍝 PureScript package manager and build tool powered by Dhall and package-sets ?

yes exactly - you should be able to copy the dependencies in markdown-it spago.dhall in this “template” and after do spago install markdown-it:

in packages.dhall:

in  upstream
  with markdown-it =
    { dependencies =
        [ "effect"
        , "prelude"
        , "psci-support"
        , "foldable-traversable"
        , "foreign"
        , "tuples"
        , "jest" -- might be a problem try to leave this out fist
        , "node-process"
        , "options"
        ]
    , repo =
        "https://github.com/nonbili/purescript-markdown-it/blob/master/spago.dhall"
    , version =
        "master"
    }

in the long run "master"might not be the best idea either (you can grab the hash or a tag) - also you have to npm install markdown-it to make it work.

Maybe someone here has an idea if the slamdata\markdown was forked somewhere.

I think it might be a good idea to resurrect this but I’m not sure what the community thinks about this.
I’ll try to have a look at it in the next few days (to get an idea of how much work it is).

1 Like