Weighing Interest in a Boston/Cambridge Purescript User Group

I am posting here to weigh the interest in potential Purescript user group in Boston.

Chime in here with your thoughts. I can’t be the only person who wants to talk about Purescript here!

If you want to chat face to face, I’ll be at the Flea at MIT this Sunday September 15. You’ll know me by the Purescript and FP stickers I’m selling. Come up and say hello and you’ll watch my face light up.

3 Likes

Safe to say there’s close to zero interest.

That’s a bummer! :sweat_smile:

Did you post this in Discord too? AFAIK it’s far more active (sadly - I’d prefer this here but I guess the majority voted with their presence there).

1 Like

I didn’t. I’ll definitely try again there.

I’d learn so much faster if I had some peers to talk to! :slight_smile:

FOAM company was from Boston

A search for that company returned nothing. Care to elaborate a bit? The only company I’ve seen here that uses Purescript nowadays is CollegeVine.

I really wish I could find a job using this language (or one like it). But if most of you Purescript masters haven’t gotten a job in your language of preference, things are not looking good for me. :wink:

He’s referring to a longtime PureScript company:

Admittedly PureScript jobs are somewhat few and far between, but they’re out there!

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. They’re in New York now unfortunately.

Perhaps a problem with Purescript is that the code, once written, just works and doesn’t need that much maintenance compared to something leveraging a hundred fifty npm packages.

Hunting for a job lately, I’m coming to the realization that most companies here use Ruby, C#, JavaScript, Python, and/or Windows. Frankly, I’d rather wash floors than work in one of those spaghetti codebases. :wink:

Maybe I will end up washing floors after all! :joy:

What does everyone here do for a living? I’m a 42 year old filmmaker looking for a new career (since the film industry got killed by streaming and the streaming wars resulted in further consolidation of those companies).

Who here gets to work in Purescript (or Haskell or one of the other elegant, functional languages) nearly 24-7?