Why does defining an instance function in terms of another often result in an error?

amx [12:07 PM]
Could someone re-explain to me why defining one typeclass member using another results in a cycle due to strictness, and why it magically works when using do-notation?

garyb [12:13 PM]
if the reference is under a bind then it’s guarded by a function definition, the same way that it would be if eta-expanded (edited)

amx [1:24 PM]
Years of Haskell have made me oblivious to strictness issues… I can read this https://github.com/purescript/purescript/blob/master/src/Language/PureScript/Sugar/TypeClasses.hs as often as I want, I don’t see why it’s a problem to call one instance function from another

natefaubion [5:34 PM]
@amx because in order to call an instance function, you need the dictionary, but you are defining the dictionary in terms of this recursive reference. In a strict language, the binding would be undefined until constructed, thus making the reference invalid. Eta expanding it defers the reference until called.

natefaubion [4 hours ago]
const fooDict = { foo: function() {...}, bar: fooDict.foo }
Is essentially what a strictly evaluated, eta reduced self reference would be. At the time of reference fooDict is undefined since it’s still being constructed.

In haskell, fooDict is lazy, so the reference is valid

in PureScript, to make this valid, it would need to be
const fooDict = { foo: function() {...}, bar: function(a) { return fooDict.foo(a); } }

which defers the reference to fooDict until bar is called, thus making it valid

3 Likes

To aid discovery: The error you may encounter is

CycleInDeclaration
  The value of x is undefined here, so this reference is not allowed.