Semimonthly Online Meetups 2020

Thanks a lot for a really interesting meetup! This is a short summary of what we have discussed. Please correct me if I’ve made any mistakes.

• At the beginning @robertdp answered the question and described what is a possible use case and what are the objectives of his purescript-react-basic-hooks-router prototype and how it differs from a much simpler approach used in purescript-react-realworld. I think that we can expect that Robert is going to share this info when the lib reaches full maturity in the docs and possibly during some meetup again :stuck_out_tongue:

• @afc sketched a general overview of the libs ecosystem which he is working on. Beside a really valueable d3 DSL and bindings he is also working on the graphiviz / dot related lib. As you can guess this creates an interesting possibility for PureScripters to use these tools together. I hope that we are going to hear even more details on the topic from the Author during the future meetups. Really cools stuff. Thanks Andrew!

• Through the main part of the meetup we took the opportunity and asked @f-f questions about the PS registry. Fabrizio was kind enough to answer all questions and didn’t expect that we know the spec! The discussion about PS registry was quite dense. I’m only listing here some topics:

• We were able to hear ideas behind overall architecture of the registry:
      • it has pull based model
      • it caches all packages
      • it uses git protocol
      • it provides sha and exposes original sources links (so you can fetch from them)
      • pulling etc. is implemented in PureScript (!) so every PureScripter is able to help here :slight_smile:
    • Fabrizio reviled some history behind cooperation / spec proof reading / suggestions from the folks from the github. They are responsible in some part for other registries on the github (npm, Swift lang registry) so this was really valuable feedback.
    • We know now that versioning schema will be enforced and that version ordering will be determined by it (and not by publishing date). In other words the latest stable release has the highest version number.
    • @f-f described how he pictures the publishing flow using spago in the future:
      • spago version is going to generate / upgrade manifest file for the lib,
      • spago publish is going to produce a link to a new issue under registry repo,
      • a library author have to follow the link and confirm a new issue which will trigger a tarball fetching and finishes the process.
    • We had a quite dens discussion between @kritzcreek and @f-f about registry storage backends, mirroring (we have pull model here as well vs feeds), consistency (sha is generated only after a successful tarball caching). I wasn’t able to fully comprehend the discussion. Sorry :slight_smile:
    • Currently the registry stores no additional PS backend (compilation target) specific information. Users should take care of this kind of stuff on its own.
    • We have looked into manifest example and its type (yes, the manifest format has its well typed spec!):
    • Fabrizio also pointed out that the manifest format should always be backward compatible.
    • Next we have a really serious discussion about the trivial problem of naming things in the context of the manifest spec. @kritzcreek said that he prefers library over lib, dependencies over deps and even development over dev (I’m really not sure here?). Fabrizio proposed emoticons usage instead of field names which nicely solves the problem! So finally we are going to have a :spaghetti: in the place of a lib and :pizza: instead of a test (or the other way around?). This is the last and final backward incompatible change in the manifest spec ever! I’m only not sure if we are going to use this encoding style for library names as well?
    • We also shortly discussed timeline / next steps of the project:
      • settling on the schema of the manifest
      • implementation of the source fetching
      • migration from bower and possible removal of bower.json manifest (we are going to have two manifest during the initial phase for sure).

Fabrizio, I want to thank you once again for this really informative AMA session!

• During a somewhat accidental and “unofficial” part of the meetup (after the final “bye, bye”) we have a really interesting another AMA session. @Jonas and @robertdp described a bit of history behind realworld-react-basic project. We have discussed some design choices which you can find in the realworld repo like app monad pattern, useStore hook, SSR. We have discussed some practical downsides, traps etc. which PureScripters may encounter when they use react.
    Additionally we were able to go through some design differences between apiary and other servant like approaches and stability of the library API.
    It was a real pleasure to hear your thoughts, ideas and experiences and I hope that we can “reply” some of the parts of this discussion during an “official part” of one of the upcoming meetups!

7 Likes

The general plan is two have a meetup every two weeks and switch between 12:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC every time. In other words we can expect that the next meetup will be on 2020-10-12T19:00:00Z :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure if in this single meetup thread mode attendance list works or not… Does it? :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s kinda mixed together. Maybe a slack channel for purs meetups would do the trick?

Like, if you didn’t send that message I would’ve completly forgotten about it:)

Yeah, it’s kinda mixed together. Maybe a slack channel for purs meetups would do the trick?

That could work. We can also create a separate thread with a schedule for every meetup.

Like, if you didn’t send that message I would’ve completly forgotten about it:)

To be honest the main purpose of my previous spam was to push the thread to the top :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, how do I join the meeting?

@Adrielus I know it’s too late, but if you scroll up for a bit, you can find a Jitsi link which you can open to join the meeting.

1 Like

Just a quick reminder - tomorrow we have another PS meetup. Everybody is more than welcome!

3 Likes

Can we try some other platform this time? The quality last week wasn’t too good:)

Let’s try jitsi first. If we encounter any problems during the meetup we can try to move to google meet. I’m going to post here a link in such a case.

1 Like

Ill join in 5 mins as well

I have to say that this was really interesting meetup. Thanks a lot to all of you for sharing your current projects and your interest area. It is really impressive to hear that we all working on so many different things or learning so many different topics.

Thanks a lot and see you soon!

6 Likes

I really wish the meetups were recorded. It’s hard for me to join live since the time often conflicts with my work. I am bummed that I missed the downsides of using React with PureScript and the SSR discussion.
Can someone who attended please summarize it?

2 Likes

Sorry for the late response.
I think that we don’t want to record these meetups as they are really chatty in nature.
Regarding react I think that we have listed topics like: props equality, inability to work in custom monad, clear life cycle API etc. I think that @robertdp recent lib is a response to some of the discussed issues back then: https://github.com/robertdp/purescript-react-halo :slight_smile:

1 Like

P.S. A quick reminder that we have a small PS meetup “soon”. I think that we can just share what we are working on during the meetup like we did on the last one.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that in my search for learning material I did come across this repo that has one of these projects that go from 0 to completion, by following along the TCOD Roguelike Tutorial (old). Haven’t explored it that much, but looks like an interesting project and maybe the author doesn’t mind if it would be used as an example.

Uses tags as checkpoints for the tutorial chapters.

5 Likes

It seems that this “sharing” form of meetup works really well. Thanks a lot to everyone for sharing your thoughts and a really nice meetup!

3 Likes

Just a quick reminder, that in a few hours we have another small PS meetup. Everybody more than welcome!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the meetup and sorry that I was late. Till the next time. See you in two (or four;-)) weeks!

3 Likes

A quick reminder that we have another small meetup soon. Please join if you want to share / discuss anything PS related!

1 Like