Semimonthly Online Meetups 2020

We had a really small but a really nice meetup :slight_smile: And again it was really interesting to hear that we are doing and experimenting with so many different things using PureScript. From hybrid (client / server) websockets handling - thanks for sharing @afc, through parsing and processing and optimizing CSS - recent stuff done by @gillchristian, to the web bluetooth and low level experiments done recently by @milesfrain. Everything using PureScript.

Thanks a lot for sharing and see you the next time!

P.S. Sorry for my broken mic and a ton of lame questions :wink:

3 Likes

Just a quick reminderā€¦ :wink:

Oh no I missed it :man_facepalming:

Holy shit! Iā€™ve missed it too. Iā€™m not sure how I was able to make such a mistake - Iā€™ve checked that yesterday and was sure that it is at 19:00 UTCā€¦ Iā€™m really, really sorry :frowning:

Did you enjoy the meetup?

No worries. :slight_smile: Though it was a small group a while ago, meetup continues a great mix of being informative and entertaining. We discussed working with purescript in practice, contrasting it with Typescript and working with FFIs. There was a common amusement how many react/ui incarnations there are - and what each brings to the table.

Looking forward to the next one! Again, thanks for everyone making this happen.

6 Likes

Quick reminder: tomorrow we have another PS meetup atā€¦ 19:00 UTC this time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the meetup. Iā€™m going to put below a quick summary of things which we have discussed during the meetup. Please excuse me and add a comment if Iā€™ve missed something (Iā€™m using alphabetical order of speakers here ;-)):

Thanks a lot for sharing and for the nice discussion. See you soon!

6 Likes

nooo how did 14 days go by so fast?!

2 Likes

I missed it again! :frowning:

@paluh This thread seems to be getting too long to be comfortable on mobile. Does it make sense to have a different thread for each meetup?

1 Like

I think one post per meetup will be too much but it could be one per year (or half a year or quarter, something like that).

1 Like

I agree with this. Itā€™s fun to read the summaries of what happened, even if I donā€™t go myself. However, scrolling through now 68 replies to read that is too much.

1 Like

I think that quarterly threads make sense. @paluh, would you be open to that?

I thought the magic of Discourse is that it only renders the most recent post, e.g. the last 10 or so, unless you scroll back to the start. At least thatā€™s what it does for me on mobile and desktop (and I donā€™t even need to be signed in).

But no objections to splitting this out into quarterly threads.

2 Likes

That actually bothers me more, since the event information is at the top of the thread and I have to scroll, wait for the next 10 posts to render, scroll, wait for the next 10 posts to render etc. until I reach the top.

Quarterly threads would be very nice!

1 Like

Maybe we could have a post with (a) just the call details and (b) no replies and pin that to the top?

ie decouple the announcement from the discussion

1 Like

You can just click on the header and it jumps to first post. But I guess it is not as intuitive.

I wasnā€™t aware of this shortcutā€¦

From this thread alone it seems that it is a bit hard to discover this UI behavior. The topic shows up in multiple discourse meta threads (mainly pagination vs infit scroll focused thread, semiworking plugin, problem report: ā€œscrolling to the first postā€, another discussion about possible ā€œjumpā€ buttons) and it seems that authors insist that they wonā€™t add any additional scrolling buttons and that pagination is also not on their radar.

Taking into the account that we have all found this long thread a bit problematic to use I think that this kind of manual quarterly pagination should work. I think that global search should work perfectly well even when we organize things in this manner, because there is a ā€œCategoryā€ filter present and we have a separate category dedicated for meetups (ā€œMeetupsā€).

Side note: Iā€™ve learned during the lecture that on the mobile there is also a ā€œprogress barā€ at the bottom which after a touch opens up the navigation panel. Additionally hamburger menu allows you to do a quick navigation between categories.
On the desktop you can jump by clicking on the start / end date on the ā€œinner scrollbarā€.
In general from the main topic list you can click the number in the ā€œreplies numberā€ column for any given topic and quickly jump to the first or last post directly.

Sure. Iā€™m going to open up a new thread. Iā€™m going to bother you and @milesfrain on the priv about the setup details of such an event before though :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes