Small PureScript online meetup - 2020-07-27

@f-f is going to publish zoom link a 15 minutes before meetup here.

I think that question has already been answered here: https://github.com/thomashoneyman/purescript-halogen-realworld/issues/46

The CSS / Styling question comes up so often, that I think it would make sense to centralize all of this info as a guide in the docs repo. Tracking in this issue.

Also proposing that we create an FAQ page to feature questions like these.

5 Likes

You seem to have a typo in the date, I assume you mean 2020-07-27

1 Like

Absolutely. Fixed, thanks!

1 Like

How can I see the meetup date in local time?

1 Like

You can add your city to this converter:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20200727T120000&p1=1440&p2=137&p3=44

We should probably always include this link in the announcements.

4 Likes

If Discourse supports bots, perhaps somebody might make a bot that replies to all meetup posts with a link to a date converter website, automatically using the meetup date and time of course. How does that sound?

To make it easier for the bot to extract the date and time, the poster might want to include both the date and time in the title.

If it’s possible, I’d like to give it a shot.

Should we just use an actual calendar for scheduling meetups?

Maybe the Discourse Calendar Plugin?

Some other related plugins / configuration options:

Example of calendar not in thread: https://community.namati.org/calendar

If a consensus of sorts happens around a plug-in y’all would like to use I’m happy to set it up.

2 Likes

link?

I’m really, really sorry that I’m writing so late. I want to apologize everyone who waited for the meetup. I’ve messed this up. I have really hard personal time and I’m a bit lost in time and space so I was not able to clearly communicate that I’m not able to start the meetup this week… This has lead to some misunderstanding and finally no one started the meeting :frowning:
I hope that we will be able to schedule this meetup for the next week. We will announce it here I think.
I promise not to mess things up again. Once again sorry.

12 Likes

@paluh I just want to say thanks for even volunteering to do this in the first place. It takes time to do this and you don’t always get the same value out of what you put into it. I appreciate you and the work you’ve done in the community. Don’t worry about it!

6 Likes

I would like to apologize as well for not managing yesterday - the last week has been a hard week health-wise for me (I even ended up at the hospital some days ago, nothing too serious fortunately) and I had to be off-screen because of that yesterday.
That made it hard to properly coordinate with @paluh - which has been incredibly supportive to keep these meetups going even when my personal life gets complicated. So I would like to express my gratitude for his work (and everyone else involved) and also invite to take it easy - we all have stuff going on and it’s ok if things sometimes slip off and are not 100% where the expectations are, it’s part of the journey and happens to everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

So we’ll try to make this happen next week, and take care in the meanwhile!

6 Likes

Additional note: Google Meet now supports meetings up to 100 people on free accounts, so:

• we don’t strictly need to use Zoom anymore
  • …but anyone with a Gmail account can create a meeting and post the link here

This should make it easier to have a place to meet in future cases when we don’t manage to be here at the agreed time

@thomashoneyman I think this calendar plugin is all we need. It now has event support built-in.

Regarding the video call links. Google Meet is nice because you can keep reusing the same link, and it won’t expire unless it’s never joined for 90 days. So we can just include that link in a recurring event. A downside is that Meet requires a google account to join.

1 Like

I’ve created a separate thread for the next meetup for clarity. Do you think that I should merge with this one and just update the title?

I wonder if calendar would work for our meetups scenario. It seems that calendar is attached to the single topic but we create separate thread per single meetup and this worked quite well so far… Do you know any community which is successfully using this plugin already?

1 Like

Here’s an example of a calendar outside of a thread: https://community.coops.tech/calendar
If you click on an event, and then the title, it takes you to a dedicated thread for that event.

I vote to keep a separate thread (no changes necessary).

I joined today’s meetup without any account. Are you sure that an account is needed?

1 Like

I think that it is not required (people without google account can join) when the meetup is started from some G Suite account.

3 Likes