Small PureScript online meetup - 2020-05-25

Spinning off a new thread from the previous one, I’ll remind here that our next call is on Monday 25th of May at 13:00 UTC.

As suggested by @JordanMartinez here, let’s use this thread to have some organization prior to meeting up.

If you plan on coming, post in this thread 1 thing that you want to get out of this meetup. For example, what’s something you want to learn? or discuss? or work on together?

Sharing this info publicly will allow us to reduce the amount of time making intros and figuring out which breakout rooms to create because everyone will be familiar with what others are doing / want to talk about / their background.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I’d like to discuss the updates since last week and planned next steps for improving documentation and new-user experience.

Timezone conversion link (just add your city).

2 Likes

Hi, I’d like to continue the discussion about audio/midi/opengl and procedural art, perhaps even start working on something. Though I’m really a beginner and learning about other things is also great.

Thank you!

3 Likes

I’d like to get a better idea of how people are using PureScript and what their pain points are.

3 Likes

The only thing I’ve done since our talk is opened issues in other repos about porting some of my guides. I will try to submit PRs for the repos where I’ve gotten a response, but I’m not sure whether I’ll have the time this week.

For my takeaway, I want to know whether anyone has any other ideas for hooks that I can add to halogen-hooks-extra.

Also, I could explain some of the internals behind Halogen Hooks for those who are interested.

6 Likes

I would be interested to see very common patterns you use day to day. There is also foreign function interface which is still not super clear for me how to create correct types for function which creates promises etc. I would like to see some quick walk-through over it.

1 Like

I want to reserve a time slot in the ecosystem room for a broad topic of a codegen in PureScript. @jvliwanag is preparing a small presentation (thanks a lot in advance!) so we would have some background for the discussion :slight_smile:
We want to also share the progress which has recently been done by @srghma in the community driven purescript-codegen org.

Additionally I want to reserve a few moments for a discussion around latest initiatives related to purescript-node-contrib and @Woody88 wai and warp libs and more… :slight_smile: I hope that we can also exchange some experience and thoughts about the state of the PureScript on the backend.

6 Likes

I’d be interested in hearing about this. I’ve seen updates to wai and warp, so I’ve been wondering how that’s going and how mature it is.

2 Likes

@f-f Mind if we create a poll where each choice represents what a room could be and who would be interested in being a part of it?

Looking through this thread, I think the potential rooms (bolded names) would be the following list. I’ve tried to group similar things together:

• Doc Updates - discuss doc updates since last week / next steps for improving docs and new-user experience (@milesfrain)
  • Pain Points - how people are using PureSciprt and what their pain points are (@hdgarrood)
  • Halogen Hooks - explain how it works and discuss ideas for contributions to halogen-hooks-extra (@JordanMartinez). Note: the explanation on hooks will likely be rough due to lack of preparing anything.
  • Code Generation - presentation and discussion on current status of code generation (@paluh, @jvliwanag, and @srghma)
  • State of Backend - initiatives on purescript-node-contrib, status of wai/warp libraries, etc. (@paluh, @Woody88)
  • Art - audio/midi/opengl and procedural art (@tristanC)
3 Likes

Sorry, didn’t notice the FFI part of this message earlier. I recently rewrote Ch10 to cover FFI in greater detail (PR pending), so let me know if that has the answer you’re looking for. I hope the new exercises and tests improve clarity. When you wrote “primeses” did you mean “primes”?

2 Likes

I had in mind “promises”, (I fixed the typo). and thank you for good resource, that is exactly what I wanted especially this part https://github.com/milesfrain/purescript-book/blob/ch10-rewrite/text/chapter10.md

@JordanMartinez you can drop the FFI topic, I have everything what I wanted in the link. :slight_smile:

Could we record these somewhere? I really want to see what happens in most of these rooms:)

1 Like

@JordanMartinez yeah a poll sounds good, please go ahead if you’d like to make one, otherwise we can just go with the flow of the moment. I mean, empty rooms are also fine and people will be able to move around anyways

In general I’d like this happening to be as “crowdsourced” as possible, so pretty much everything is welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

Done.

For those voting, keep in mind that rooms which don’t get a lot of votes this time can always be done another time. We can use this poll to help gauge people’s interest in later meetups.

• Doc Updates - discuss doc updates since last week / next steps for improving docs and new-user experience (@milesfrain)
  • Pain Points - how people are using PureSciprt and what their pain points are (@hdgarrood)
  • Halogen Hooks - explain how it works and discuss ideas for contributions to halogen-hooks-extra (@JordanMartinez). Note: the explanation on hooks will likely be rough due to lack of preparing anything.
  • Code Generation - presentation and discussion on current status of code generation (@paluh, @jvliwanag, and @srghma)
  • State of Backend - initiatives on purescript-node-contrib , status of wai / warp libraries, etc. (@paluh, @Woody88)
  • Art - audio/midi/opengl and procedural art (@tristanC)
  • Doc Updates
  • Pain Points
  • Halogen Hooks
  • Code Generation
  • State of Backend
  • Art

0 voters

2 Likes

I don’t think there should be a whole room dedicated to what I said. I don’t want to direct any discussion really, I just want to listen and hear from others.

1 Like

Since I just registered and for the past month or so got somewhat more acquainted with Purescript, I’d also like to come for the ride. I can’t contribute with presentations cause I’m such a n00b, but I’m interested in listening on into doc updates, paint points & art (specifically opengl).

2 Likes

@hdgarrood no worries, I was also interested in talking about this. I was thinking we could just use the “main lounge” for things like helping beginners, discussing pain points, general talks, etc. Maybe we can also have some chatting about the registry, as I’d like to bounce some ideas around about that too.

4 Likes

I’d like to maximize time spent in other rooms besides documentation, and so I’m hoping to make the documentation discussion as efficient as possible. I think we could keep it under 10 minutes if we show-up organized with the topics we want to cover. Here are mine:

1 Like

I’m very late here, but I’ll try anyway. I’ll be happy to discuss anything but I’d like to focus on areas of improvement in the language server/editor integration.

2 Likes

Meeting link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82638883679?pwd=aTRaNWlNYVBQa2d1cCtwM0NFUHd0QT09

In about ~20 min I’ll start letting people in. See you soon!

1 Like